Monday, December 21, 2009

Second Annual Give 'Em The Boot

Cassie P. Come out, come out wherever you are!

Today we set the stage for the Second Annual Give 'Em the Boot Contest and you've got the coveted prize. The contest is compliments of a creative and long lost reader, Kristen. We're not sure where Kristen ran off to - or her sister for that matter, but no worries, they left behind this fun Highlowaha tradition.

The "Give Them the Boot Award." goes to the reader who has the funniest, most outrageous, or most hideous holiday story... about a family member or holiday guest! It could be anything from a crazy family feud, an aunt or uncle's distracting quirk, an office mates horrible display of table manners, and everything in between.

Today is Monday. That means family will start rolling into town any day now or... you will be loading up your cars, knowingly and willingly driving toward family mayhem.

Here's how your family drama can actually pay off.

Be on the look out for a great, but unfortunate, holiday story about the family you love to hate (or is it hate to love). Feel free to even stir the pot in search of the perfect story. Monday or Tuesday of next week, we will open the floor for readers to share their best - meaning, most hideous - holiday story from the season. The story readers deem most unfortunate/unbelievable will be named winner.

The winner is presented a beautiful, glass ornament shaped like a cowboy boot. You get to be its keeper for the year - displaying it in your office, your kitchen, your entrance way, or stuffing it in your box of ornaments until next season. Whatever you decide, handle it with care. For, the boot must get passed along to next year's winner in early January 2011.

Today is National Ba Humbug Day, so let's get busy celebrating and, at the same time, warm ourselves up for this year's Give 'Em The Boot Contest. What friend, relative, or co-worker are most sure is going to push your buttons this holiday season and why?

Let her rip.

Signing off until tomorrow...

9 comments:

Chaotic Kristi said...

I have no horror stories to tell bc a) really small family (twin & parents). But today is the Winter Solstice, which I celebrate. Yule, as it is also known. The Return of the Light. Yesterday was the longest night/shortest day. Today, the days now get longer, hence 'returning light'. And with that return, there are some other things I would like to return to my daily routine. Like y'all!

Robin said...

Chaotic: Did you make owl invites to your party? We're celebrating too, both Solstice AND the birthday of our twin daughters, affectionately known as the Solstice Sisters. Though they were born at dawn...

I'm making the rainbow cake - or attempting to do it!

Peggy said...

Cute ornament!

Not that I'm completely turning over a new leaf, but I don't know if I want to hear 'horror' outrageous, funniest, hideous Christmas stories....I'd rather get a swift kick in the pants for SHINING... a RAK..... a smile, a feel good moment! nah! JK :0)

PS I found a pickle ornament and thought of HLA, it's hidden on my tree!

Cheryl Houston said...

I'm just wondering if any of family crosses the blog every now and then... will they catch my cattiness?

I'm scared to put out there for permanent record and review.

If I remember correctly Cassie won it last year for her flight being cancelled and her dad telling her one thing and then another. So, it doesn't have to be crazy Uncle Charlie being obnoxious.

I don't have a crazy Uncle Charlie. That's just an example.

Chaotic, it will be good to see you around here again. I hope Karen is in full recovery. I spy on your blog occassionally. :) Happy Winter Solstice.

Heather @ HouseofShine.com said...

Happy Winter Solstice!

I swear it is my favorite day of the year because I'm so thankful it means our days (and SUNLIGHT!!) start getting longer!

I'm at home starting to get our suitcase packed up and ready for our flight tomorrow.

This afternoon is our home inspection and we should also get the appraisal report in today as well...we'll cross our fingers that everything shakes out so we can head into our holidays hopeful!

Brian K. Root said...

Here's a horror story for you... I had no electricity all weekend! We got walloped with snow in SW Virginia... About two feet.

I felt so disconnected from the world.

Katie said...

Jessie if you are out there, my friends and I are driving through rock hill right now! I was thinking of you!

As for holiday horror stories, I am hoping for a horror free trip home for the holidays! Including one that allows me to get my car out from under the 2 feet of snow that is waiting for me when I get back to Virginia this evening!

Chaotic Kristi said...

No owls... got a great embossing punch to use-snowflakes! Karen baked & we passed out Solstice cookies to all our neighbors, wishing them happy returns... they just shake their heads... oh, it's the witches... LOL... and then eat the cookies! So glad Karen is almost back up to her previous energetic... it is HARD WORK running a household alone! Much less one filled with needy critters.

Robin said...

@Chaotic: Cookies are cookies, IMHO.