Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm Watching You!

You know what else is fun about Halloween?

It's filled with mystery.  At Halloween you can leave anonymous notes and treats for people and it somehow fits into the spirit of the holiday.  Here's an admission.  When I was in my late 20's and early 30s I would use Halloweens to send an a cryptic message to someone I was admiring from afar.  Sometimes it would be letters cut from a magazine, sometimes a note written in code or written mirror backwards.  Each year one recipient and always employing a different tactic.  It was fun.  I never revealed myself, because that wasn't the point.  Instead, I took simple pleasure in believing I was making someone feel important.  I've gotten a secret admirer note or two in my life time and it feels good to know someone recognizes your for something they see as unique.

This year I made cookies.  I plan on packaging them in small boxes and leaving the small bundles around town.  One will go to the cafeteria worker who makes my boys lunches every day with a note that says, "I'm watching you and you make a difference."   Another will read, "Eye spy someone hardworking
," and will go to the dedicated swim coach who spends every afternoon with my oldest son.  A third box might be left in particular chair at "my" Starbucks, where the same woman shows up every morning, 15 minutes after me, to enjoy a Venti coffee, a cup of ice water, and a snack.  I'm not sure what her note will say yet, but I've still got a few days to think about it.  Who knows... f you live in town, one might just show up on your door step!

By the way... I got the idea for these cookies from ping pong balls painted to look like blood shot eye balls.  I loved them when I saw them.  In fact, I bought two bags of the eyeballs, so I could fill a vase with them and use it as a centerpiece.  What could be simpler?  Round cookies, white icing, and then decorated with black, blue, and red.

Do you have a trick or treat up your sleeve that you will use to recognize someone deserving in your community?  Tell us about it.

Announcements:
  • Pumpkin Patch: Remember to submit a picture of your Jack-o-Lantern to Katie at kkolkmeier@gmail.  The deadline is today at 5:00 - though I bet if you asked nicely she'd give you an extension.
  • Blog-a-thon: We only had one new taker yesterday.  Thank you, Heather.  Tera, I got your request and I will work up a short blurb before day's end.  Thank you for being diligent in trying to recruit other writers.
Signing off until tomorrow...

No comments: