Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy National...

Candy Corn Day!
October 30, 2008
I'll celebrate National Candy Corn Day, because this 100+ year old candy deserves a little respect.  It has, after all, been around since the 1880's and remained unchanged since its inception.  I'm no candy expert, but that seems worthy of boasting.  I must also admit, there are few other candies so recognizable and so closely associated with the Halloween holiday.  One search through Google's revealed close to 450,000 candy corn images.  Look at all the ways candy corn has been adapted and celebrated as an iconic symbol of fall and of Halloween.

There was more.  Tutu's earrings, witch hats, candles, napkin rings, baby rattles, t-shirts, belts, t-shirts, tote bags, necklaces, sculptures, and on it went for 450,000 images!

But, the truth is I'm not totally feeling the Candy Corn celebration.  I'm not feeling it, because to me candy corn tastes a little like wax.  Visually, I give the candy a 10.  It's perfect in size, color, and shape.  But taste matters when you're coughing up calories for candy.  It'd be a hard sell to get me to give up my Whoppers or Special Dark Hershey bars for a serving of candy corn (even if candy corn is only 3.57 calories per kernel). 

When I was a kid and we returned home after trick or treating, we would spread all our candy out on the living room floor and start sorting through it.  Gum in one pile, lollipops in another, chocolate in a third, tootsie rolls and other chewy candy in yet another, and then there was the "...and that" pile.  That was all the candy we we were willing to trade or, better yet... give away!  Candy corn was in my "And That" pile.

How about you?

Are you in or not when it comes to candy corn?

I had a thought...  What if all the Highlowaha readers who feel like I do about Candy Corn agreed to award one lucky Highlowaha Candy Corn Lover with all the candy corn acquired on Halloween night?  Wouldn't that be fun?  Let's do it.

Tell us, thumbs up or thumbs down on candy corn and give a signal as to whether or not you would be willing to send yours or to be the recipient.

One more thing.  I don't want to be a kill joy just because I don't love candy corn, so... if you have a favorite candy corn story, recipe, craft, or other adaptation, let us know.  I'm willing to go along for the ride.

Signing off until tomorrow...

No comments: