Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happy January 18 Eve!

Good Saturday morning.  As you can tell by my late post, "Sleep in Saturday" worked today!  That's good news for me and bad news for any of you early risers.

Today is Saturday, January 17 - the eve of the much anticipated 18th, when Highlowaha engages in its monthly ritual of sharing "highs," "lows," and "ahas" for the past month.  We won't be together tomorrow and since the very notion of a ritual requires recurrence, we will use today to celebrate.

Also, it seems last month we forgot to draw the name of a lucky winner to receive a highlowaha t-shirt.  This month we'll draw two, in order to make good on our agreement.

If you're new to the scene, the rules of play are simple.  Take a few minutes to reflect on your past month.  Do this in spite of  your long list of things to do.  In fact, do it because of your long list of things to do.  Reclaiming control over your life to engage in life's simple pleasures is what we, at highlowaha.com, affectionately refer to as "Living the spirit of #218."

Join us as we kick of 2009.  And while I'm at it... Did anyone else notice the coincidence... 2 x 0 x 0 x 9 = 18?  That means this is going to be a good year!

High: "Cut it out," Julie!  This orange pair of scissors, that I received in the mail from Julie yesterday, is my high for the month!  It is my "high," not only because it is thoughtful, (other have also sent me thoughtful treats), but because it clearly illustrates that every once in a while, people actually learn from this blog site.  Julie painted the over-sized scissors (I collect over-sized things) orange and wrote on them, "Remember to disorganize to create growth."  This is a direct reference to a Colin Powell quote I shared a couple weeks back.  It thrills me that any of your found it worth remembering.  This blog site is a tribute to both creativity and community, but I am an educator at heart, so knowing that learning is also occurring makes me happy beyond measure! 

Low:  My car dying and not seeing my family for the holidays.

Aha:  Let's see... Mind Mapping, the words to Auld Lang Syne, the difference between stress and eustress, or maybe - like Julie - the power of being "Chief Disorganizer?"  Hmmmm.... I would I've had a few "ahas" this month.  I learned I am persnickety and all too willing to prejudge my UTPA Leadershape experience on something as superficial as room conditions.  I learned that when given one-on-one attention and uninterrupted time to think, most college students are capable of imagining meaningful change for our country.  And, most importantly, by virtue of teaching concepts of leadership for a week straight, I learned the enormity and commitment required to lead. 

Your turn.

Oh, and since we are almost exactly one month away from Highlowahas One Year Anniversary, let me leave you with this...
Virtually Groundbreaking
Wednesday, February 18
8:00 p.m.

Signing off until Monday, when the real countdown to February 18 begins!

No comments: