While it is true the Elite 8 earned Swag Bags for signing up first to attend Highlowaha's Second Annual Taste of USA, everyone got to leave with a few small treats.
Our most prized giveaway was a collection of handmade "Shine" balls. The balls were initially conceived by Sandra at Sandrajuto.com, discovered by Cheryl, and then replicated by your friends at Highlowaha. You know what they say... Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Making them is easy, but the impact is high. Here's how.
- Get a roll of crepe paper streamers and a handful of trinkets. We used yellow streamers and trinkets such as: smiley face balls, necklaces, tiny erasers, confetti, parachute men, a key chain, and a few other chatchka.
- Begin rolling the first item in a piece of crepe paper.
- Continue rolling the crepe paper, slowly adding additional chatchka.
- If easier, cut crepe paper and begin a new strand with each additional item rolled into your ball.
- Once all items are included, wrap a few additional layers of crepe paper to round out your shape.
- Use ribbon, jewels, foam shapes, buttons, and other accents to dress up the outside.
Voila. That's it.
Don't believe me? Check out the site where we originally discovered the idea.
In the spirit of Highlowaha, let's advance this idea of the Surprise Ball. For what other kinds of events could we use this idea? Orange streamers at Halloween, made to look like pumpkins? Blue and green paper made to look like globes? White streamers with black accents filled with treats and presented to your favorite soccer team? What else you got for me?
And while you're at it, what are some other ideas for trinkets to be included? Coins, stamps, stickers, rub-on tattoos, and what else?
Signing off until tomorrow...