Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On a Scale of 1-5...

how stressed are you?

Laughter is a great way to manage stress.


I remember learning in college that there are two kinds of distress.  First is distress, the stress associated with negative life events such as a family member's death, divorce or losing a job.  The other is eustress, the stress associated with positive life events - things such as achieving a goal, falling in love, getting married, and yes... the holidays.  The interesting thing, I remember, is that the effects of stress on our body are the same, regardless of whether we are experiencing distress or eustress. 

While the past couple weeks on highlowaha have been centered on creative gift giving ideas, this week and next, I'd like to focus on topics related, but on the periphery of the holidays.  Monday ornaments, yesterday (thanks to HoliRay and Noel) wacky relatives who keep family gatherings interesting, and today... creative ways of managing holiday stress. 

I know a little about stress - distress and eustress.  As for distress... I have another unfortunate SAAB story.  Like my last SAAB story (in June when CSPgrad was visiting), which cost upward of $3,000, this one will do about the same.  Only difference?  This SAAB story necessitates us buying a new car - not something that was anywhere on our horizon.  Add to it friends and family who are losing jobs due to the economy, impending deadlines, and strained relationships, and I'd say I'm managing about the same amount of distress as all of you.

Eustress.  I have that too.  I have a few upcoming presentations/workshops I get to do and, of course, I want to make sure I am prepared and that I do a good job.  I have fun, big plans for Highlowaha in the next couple of months, but making it all happen will require a lot of work and planning.  I have an employment opportunity on the horizon, and while it seems an exciting position, accepting a job represents transition for the family.  Finally, I love the holidays and I have high hopes for helping make them feel magical for the friends and family around me.  That means making time to write notes, make small treats, wrap, mail packages, bake, decorate, and more.

That's the extent of what I know.  Managing stress?  On this I am no authority.  I noodled around a little on the internet and found a few things I thought constituted creative attempts at managing stress.  Check them out...

As I noted at the beginning of my blog.  Laughter is good.     
Here are a couple more sources of laughter...

http://humorscope.com/ for your daily funny horoscope.  Or...
What do snowmen eat for breakfast?  Snow flakes!  Ha, ha, ha.

Take time to enjoy the scenery...

Take five and do a puzzle...

Or, pop bubble wrap - scientifically proven to reduce stress.

How about you?  On a scale of 1-5, how much stress are you feeling and what creative ideas might you have for managing it?  Do tell.

One more thing and then signing off until tomorrow...

 

No comments: