Saturday, December 6, 2008

Ho! Ho! Ho!, Low on Dough: $5.00

Sleep in Saturday?!?!?  I don't think so!  I'm writing this post earlier than normal, for a Saturday, because at 6:00 a.m. I am meeting two of our trusted Highlowaha readers, so we may discuss the future of Highlowaha.

How's that for a cliffhanger?  Good things coming our way.

If you live anywhere in North Texas today is your day!  The Owl's Nest - located at 1220 Prospect Street, in Southlake Town Square, is offering a 10% discount to all Highlowaha readers, from 10:00 a.m-7:00 p.m.  To get your discount, just mention that you read about the Owl's Nest offering on Highlowaha's blog.  The 10% discount is only one of the great reasons to visit the store.  The other is that this toy store is chock full of some of the most original and creative gifts as I have seen in any toy store.  There are items at all price points and, to top it off, they do GREAT wrapping... FREE!  It is worth the trip.
If you visit the store, consider coming back to the blog later today and sharing your review of a favorite item you found.  In addition, we have a small list of readers from around the country for whom we will be looking for creative gift ideas.  If you're one of those people, check in later today to see our ideas.

$5.00.  That's what we've got to spend today.

First let me comment on some of the great suggestions made yesterday.  I think it was Peggy who reminded us that some of the nicest gifts we can give are coupons to be cashed in for our time.  The Walmart and Sonic outing was my personal favorite.  If you didn't get to check in yesterday, it's worth going back to read all the suggestions listed in the comment section.  

I have a few $5.00 gifts I plan on giving this season.  I want to leave something thoughtful in the mailbox for the woman who delivers our mail.  I also want to present something to the barista who serves me every morning, and the unsung heroine of the preschool my boys attend - the woman who cooks their food every day.  Here are two ideas with which I am toying.

My picture isn't great, but imagine the plate ($1.50 at Target) with a candle (on sale at Pier I for $2.98).  The note reads, "Wishing you Merry Christmas."  Grand total $4.48.

I haven't put these together yet, but I intend to fill them with a mix of nuts and chocolate and caramel covered popcorn.  A little green cellophane, a card shaped like a clap board or a marquee and I think it'll make for a thoughtful holiday treat.  The containers were $1.00 at Target.  Cost of popcorn mix, not sure yet. 

My MBA husband couldn't help but chime in with a creative contribution.  Stock!  The silver lining to our worrisome economy is that the price of many stocks has fallen below $5.00.  This year, feed the economy by purchasing someone a share of stock.  Here are some of your options... Ford, 2.72; GM, $4.08; Crocs, $1.38; Gap, $4.23; Krispy Kreme, $2.47.  Or, if you really want to splurge, you can buy Ann Taylor stock at $5.68 or Starbucks at $9.12.

Now it's your turn.  If you found a 5.00 bill what would you buy?  Chances are, what you would buy also makes a nice gift for someone on you list.  Me?  A Venti, Cinnamon Dolce, non-fat, no-whip, and heated to 180 degrees.  In fact, I think I'll head that way right now.

Finally, a thank you to Katie and her Krew for spending the week with us and sharing some of their creative ideas.  We have benefited from your participation this week and certainly hope we can expect to see you in the future.  

Signing off until Monday...
 

No comments: