Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Claudia's Kids Pick: Boys Toys

It's official.  I'm allergic to my Christmas tree.  My head is clogged and my throat is sore.  That's my low for the day (good to get that out of the way early).  It's still too early to know what my "high" will be and same with my "aha."  Maybe I'll check back later tonight and let you know.

In the meantime, we have boys toys to talk about... a topic near and dear to my heart, as I have three.  

Let me preface this by saying, the list below of Claudia's Top Kid Picks assumes the boys in your life already have (1) a flashlight, (2) walkie talkies, and (3) binoculars.  These are all items that Richard - my husband - insists are a must.  Once Maslow's Hierarchy of Boys Toys is taken care of, consider my list.  

Also, let us know what you've picked out this season for the boys in you life.  Don't have any toy ideas to share?  How about answering this question from the, now-sold-out, Limited Edition Deck of Highlowaha Conversation Cards.  What is one Christmas present from your childhood you wish you still had?  Something immediately came to mind as my answer.  I'll post it in the comment section.

Schylling Grip-n-Growl
$5.99
 How about getting this for your favorite boy's bike.  When he pulls back on the grip, it sounds like the engine of his bicycle is revving.  An inexpensive, but fun treat to surprise a neighbor, nephew, or to put in a holiday grab bag.

Stomp Rocket
$15.99 ($12.99 at Owl's Nest)
Matthew first spotted this toy when some neighborhood boys were playing with it on our block.  He's wanted one ever since.  Simply attach the foam rocket to the launch tower and then jump on the launch pad.  The rockets shoots up to 100 feet in the air.  They make another one for older kids that goes up to 200 feet (kids have to be a little heavier to jump hard enough).

Skuut
$89.99 
My sister gave this bicycle to Matthew last year.  It might very well be the best present he will ever receive.  Matthew was three last Christmas and the timing for this Skuut was PERFECT!  It works just like a bicycle, only no pedals.  Matthew uses his feet to push off and glide himself from place to place.  The beauty of this is that, by virtue of "skuuting" for a year, Matthew now knows how to balance himself and learning to ride a bicycle will be made much easier.  This item is pricey, but it is worth every penny!

Frontier Safe
$11.50
 
It seems to me having a place to hide your top secret loot (marbles, coins, a whistle, pocket knife, and other boy gadgets) would be a fun gift for a favorite boy on your list.

Flip To Win Hangman
$12.95
This is another Melissa and Doug product (love them!).  I love this item, because it strikes me as fun, but practical.  Perfect for the car.  Perfect for a restaurant.  Perfect for an airplane or a doctor's office.  The pieces are attached to the board, so no worrying about lost pieces.  They also make a similarly designed Tic Tac Toe board.

Fortamajig, Single Layer
$69.95
Santa brought one of these to Matthew last year.  It is called a Fortamajig.  It's genius, really.  I wish I would have thought of it.  Imagine parachute material with velcro tabs sewn all over it.  The randomly placed velcro tabs allow your favorite little boy (or girl) to build a fort anywhere any time.  The only supplies necessary are trees branches or furniture to which the velcro loops can be attached... and a healthy dose of imagination.

Original Little Hands Card Holder
$3.99

A simple, relatively inexpensive item.  A set of these card holders with a deck of either Old Maid or Go Fish cards makes a perfect gift for someone on your list.  I've seen other brands, but this brand works the best.

That's it for today's items.  Hopefully you found something in my Top Picks that might work for one of the guys in your life.  Don't forget to answer today's question.

Signing off until tomorrow...

No comments: