- Start out with a piece of 8.5 x 11 paper
- Take the top right corner of the paper and fold it downward along the left side border of the paper
- Cut off the extra rectangle of paper below the fold you just made
- Now unfold the paper to make a square.
- Take each corner of the paper and fold it into the middle of the square to make 4 triangles
- Flip the paper over and repeat the step from above
- Pick up the paper and fold in half once and then fold in half again
- Lay the paper flat with the side with 4 squares facing up
- Color each of these squares a different color
- Flip the paper over and label each of the smaller triangles with a number 1-8 (in order)
- Lift up each of the larger triangles and write a fortune underneath to correspond with the 1-8 number on top. You should write 8 fortunes.
- Pick up the paper and push the four corners together to make a fortune teller
I have one slight twist on this that you could do with your kids. You could put a chore as one of the fortunes. Then, they could play this game to see what chore they needed to do that day. Maybe take out the trash, vacuum the living room, etc. Or maybe you could put fun "trips" as the fortunes. A night at the movies, going to the public swimming pool, etc. Take a twist on this however you want with your kids for the summer. Feel free to share them in the comment section.
Now for a little fun for us! I have written some fortunes on the inside of my fortune teller. We will do this in 3 rounds today for you all to find out your fortunes. Here's what you need to do to participate! First, between 5:00 AM and 12:00 noon make a comment in the comment section telling me which color you want to choose (orange, pink, green, or yellow). At 12 noon, I will post telling all of you what numbers you need to choose from. Sometime between 12:00 noon and 3:00 PM, you need to choose one of the numbers that I give you to choose from and post your selection in the comments. At 3:00 PM, I will comment one more time telling each of you what your fortune is for the day! I hope some of you will play along! See you at 12 noon for the first round!
Signing off until tomorrow with the song of the day...