Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fortune Telling

Welcome back to another day here at Highlowaha! It's Katie here to bring you a creative idea for the day. After talking about friendship bracelets last week, I was thinking of fun projects I did as a kid during the summers. One of those projects was always making my own fortune teller out of paper. I know this was popular among my friends and I'm sure some of you have made them before, but I thought it'd be a fun idea to share today.

  1. Start out with a piece of 8.5 x 11 paper
  2. Take the top right corner of the paper and fold it downward along the left side border of the paper
  3. Cut off the extra rectangle of paper below the fold you just made
  4. Now unfold the paper to make a square.
  5. Take each corner of the paper and fold it into the middle of the square to make 4 triangles
  6. Flip the paper over and repeat the step from above
  7. Pick up the paper and fold in half once and then fold in half again
  8. Lay the paper flat with the side with 4 squares facing up
  9. Color each of these squares a different color
  10. Flip the paper over and label each of the smaller triangles with a number 1-8 (in order)
  11. Lift up each of the larger triangles and write a fortune underneath to correspond with the 1-8 number on top. You should write 8 fortunes.
  12. Pick up the paper and push the four corners together to make a fortune teller
I hope that made sense. Instead of trying to give you step-by-step instructions on how to use it, I've decided to include a youtube video to show you how to use the new paper fortune teller you've just made.



I have one slight twist on this that you could do with your kids. You could put a chore as one of the fortunes. Then, they could play this game to see what chore they needed to do that day. Maybe take out the trash, vacuum the living room, etc. Or maybe you could put fun "trips" as the fortunes. A night at the movies, going to the public swimming pool, etc. Take a twist on this however you want with your kids for the summer. Feel free to share them in the comment section.

Now for a little fun for us! I have written some fortunes on the inside of my fortune teller. We will do this in 3 rounds today for you all to find out your fortunes. Here's what you need to do to participate! First, between 5:00 AM and 12:00 noon make a comment in the comment section telling me which color you want to choose (orange, pink, green, or yellow). At 12 noon, I will post telling all of you what numbers you need to choose from. Sometime between 12:00 noon and 3:00 PM, you need to choose one of the numbers that I give you to choose from and post your selection in the comments. At 3:00 PM, I will comment one more time telling each of you what your fortune is for the day! I hope some of you will play along! See you at 12 noon for the first round!

Signing off until tomorrow with the song of the day...

24 comments:

heather said...

Fun, I remember those too and now they SELL them for like $12.00!

I'm going to say PINK!

Chaotic Kristi said...

Green! An dI have one of these currently on my desk, all done in floral designs w/names of flowers to plant. LOL

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I love the idea of using it to divvy out kids chores! Billant.

I'll go with green too.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I'll be in training most of today, so if I can't check in this afternoon can someone pick a number for me.

If 18 is a number, I'll take that.

Kat said...

Those are so fun! I remember doing them in Jr High and we would write the names of boys in our class.

I choose yellow!

Peggy said...

Oooh, that reminds me... I could do Oragami on the plane....wish us luck, we're off to Orlando!

To answer a question Heather had... Sissy's volleyball team is pretty good, but when you go to tournaments in different parts of the country at age 14.... you are PAYING to play, it's not like you are invited and it's FREE!!

In two weeks (dh and dd) they'll be in Louisville, other than the race track and the bat factory... where should dh visit??

Talk to you on the other side.... 58 here in Illinois... temp in Orlando????????

Brian K. Root said...

Haha... I used to make those things when I was little, too.


I'll try to drop in between each of the time slots, but today is the first freshmen orientation on campus, so i can't make any promises. Let me go with GREEN.


P.S. I love that you end your posts with a "song of the day." Makes me smile every time.

Cheryl Houston said...

JB makes these ALL the time! I think I have a stack of about 20 in the playroom. He makes them big, he makes them teeny-tiny!

I'd like Orange please!

I think we used them to tell us who we were going to marry.

Katie said...

It's so good to see so many people posting so early this AM! I'm glad people are joining in on the fun of finding our fortunes today!

Peggy- Depending on if they are in town and playing that night, your husband could go to a Riverbats baseball game. The stadium is downtown. They are a minor league baseball team.

There is the Muhammed Ali museum, a glass factory and museum, a history museum, and an art museum.

There is a hard rock cafe on 4th street, Captains' Quarter (restaurant) which is a bit further away from downtown on River Road, and some other good restaurants, too. I hope that helps.

Have fun in Orlando!
I'll be back at noon with your numbers to choose from!

heather said...

Where in Louisville will they be playing?
I second spending a day on Main Street (where the Slugger Museum is located) to check out the Muhammad Ali Center, the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, and then loop over to 4th street for a concert and some dinner.
They could go down to the riverfront to Tumbleweed or Joe's Crab Shack and enjoy the river view...Hmmm...I'll think on it some more and give you more info...is there something he is really into? Golf right? He could go to Valhalla!

azlori said...

pink

Tera said...

Katie, I choose orange.

I vote for the Muhammad Ali Center. It's an amazing place. My hubby used to work there and I was there a few times. It's really cool!

Unknown said...

I love making these... GREEN!

Katie said...

Okay, here we are at 12 noon! Below are your names along with the numbers you have to choose from! Choose one of the numbers listed before 3:00 PM CST, and then come back at 3 to find out what your fortune is for today!

Heather- 3, 4, 7, 8
Chaotic- 1, 2, 5, 6
Claudia- 1, 2, 5, 6
Kat- 3, 4, 7, 8
Brian- 1, 2, 5, 6
Cheryl- 3, 4, 7, 8
AZ Lori- 3, 4, 7, 8
Tera- 3, 4, 7, 8
Nicole- 1, 2, 5, 6

Unknown said...

5!

Kat said...

3!

heather said...

7

Cheryl Houston said...

I will take 3, too.

Tera said...

8 it is :)

heather said...

Per Claudia's earlier request let's pick her number and I'll do it in true Claudia fashion.
218=
2x1=2
2+8=10
10 drop the 0 and you've got 1...Claudia's number is 1...

Brian K. Root said...

If i'm too late, that's OK. I'll pick 1

Katie said...

Welcome back!!!

Here are your fortunes:

Heather- By helping someone else today, you may also be helping yourself.

Claudia- Grand adventures await those who are willing to turn the corner.

Kat- Look for new outlets for your creative abilities.

Brian- Grand adventures await those who are willing to turn the corner.

Cheryl- Look for new outlets for your creative abilities.

Tera- The first step to better times is to imagine them.

Nicole- The beginning of wisdom is to desire it.

cassie p said...

This was a fun day, I am sorry I missed it. Was going to check in before work again today, but woke up an hour late, got ready and left in a total of 8 min! It was nuts.

But my friends and I used to make these things too, and write good and bad fortunes, or boys' names! We had fun, but would get in trouble for making them in elementary school! HAHA

Peggy said...

Hello y'all from hot and humid Orlando!

Thanks for all the Louisville ideas!!! Heather you are good!! DH is a golfer.... he was thinking about going to the race track again, and going golfing.. I'll mention Valhalla. Last year the girls played at the State Fair Grounds!

Sissy and I had fun today while traveling... we said enthusiastic "Hellos" and smiles to the airport workers and the toll both lady.... can't help but smile when you're near Disney World!!!