Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm Baked!

If you're a reader of this blog then chances are you know what I mean when I say, sometimes... every once in a while, you embark on a project simply because it is outrageous.  If you asked my husband, he would say my life is one of these projects after another - strung together by brief moments of rest.  Not true.  But, I've have been known to get involved in a few... shall we say... impractical projects. 
 
While working at Southern Methodist University, my students and I hosted a regional conference for people who planned orientation programs on their respective campuses.  Four hundred seventy-five students and staff attended the conference and, because "packaging is everything, I thought it would be better to roll 475 conference t-shirts, wrap them in ribbon, and tuck some shred under the ribbons.  Who, after all, wants to be handed a t-shirt... no fanfare, no pomp, no circumstance?  Not when, with a little effort, the t-shirt can be made to feel like so much more.

A few years ago, I worked with a handful of students to paper mache' forty-two boxes, then paint them, affix antennas and attach plugs.... and all in order to have them look like t.v.s, as part of a promotional gimmick.  The first paper mache' job didn't come out as planned, requiring us to sand them down, re-paper mache' them, and give them a new paint job.  Again... audience tune in!  Oh, I could go on (and on), but you get the gist and chances are you have plenty of your own stories.

Today I add another to the list.  A few weeks ago, Cassie and Cheryl came over for our monthly Cookie Box Baking Extravaganza.  I decided we would make Dalmatians and fire hydrants, so Cheryl could have an excuse to visit the tall, strong, and handsome firemen at our local fire stations (a silly reference to the past when Cheryl proclaimed her affinity for these civil servants).  Anyway... while we were baking I stated, that one day I thought it would be cool to bake 101 Dalmatians and give them to someone.

Then it hit me...  If last week was dedicated to celebrating the number 100.  Then it would be appropriate for the Monday after the week's celebration to recognize the number 101.  That was it... my excuse for baking the 101 Dalmatians on which I became fixated.  Have I mentioned Katie (cspgradstudent is still in town?... though she may be looking to leave... soooooooooon?).
So last night that's what we did... baked and decorated 101 Dalmatians for some lucky reader.  Which reader?  That is where the postcards... yes, the infamous Random Acts of Kindness postcards... come in to play.  Here I have 101 Dalmatians to give away and no particular person in mind.  So, right now... at this very moment... I will have Katie draw the name of the lucky dog!  All you slackers who never mailed your postcard (mailing address: 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, Texas, 76051) are S.O.L..  Oh... I know there are a few of you thinking.... "Phew, what would I have done with 101 edible Dalmatians, anyway?" Well, you could...
  • Make the day of your local daycare
  • Bring them to your next church function
  • Surprise your neighborhood kids with a treat
  • Take them to your local fire station...where you too can meet tall, strong, and handsome firemen.
  • Deliver them to your local pet shop and make their day.
  • Bundle the cookies, attach notes that say... 101 reasons I think your great... and surprise your employees and fellow staff people.
... to name a few.

So, Melanie Evans, you lucky dog.  You are the winner!

Today cookies... next, who knows.  So get your postcards in (mailing address: 4012 Harvestwood, Grapevine, Texas, 76051) the mail.  It's not too late.  It's never too late.  Round and round she goes.  Who's picked next?  Nobody knows!

Enjoy your Monday.  I'd end on a witty note, but... I'm baked.  

Signing off until tomorrow...

P.S.  Look at the fun AND EASY Father's Day cake we made yesterday!

No comments: