Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Thorny Topic...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm an election junkie
How 'bout you?

Are you feeling the energy?  It's almost palpable.  Presidential elections are tomorrow and I can't wait.  Elections are to me what Christmas is to my sons.  Total anticipation.  Tonight is election eve and tomorrow is Christmas.  All day long tuning into CNN and watching the election results.  I can't think of anything better.  In fact, I've already started worrying about what I'm going to do after the elections.  What will I watch? read about? talk about?  It'll be that same anti climatic feeling kids feel the day after Christmas.

Stop.  That's tomorrow.  Today we have the whole shabang ahead of us.  So snap out of it, and relish the moment.  

Today is about the anticipation of election day and party-planning for Tuesday night's festivities.  We're not hosting a party-party, but our immediate family will hunker down and watch the most anticipated election of our lifetime unravel, one glorious state at a time.  I'll figure out some red and blue treats for dessert (suggestions welcome) and the living room will be adorned with ____ - colored balloons.  It'll be fun (and a great civics lesson for our kids).  

I was toying with what we could do today in celebration of all the excitement.  The Dallas Morning News ran a contest, asking readers to write haiku's.  Been there done that, so haiku's are out.  But what about another form of poetry?  That's when it came to me...

Yes.  Today we will share election day thoughts, by asking you to compose your own, "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue," poem.  Here's my crack at it...

Roses are red
violets are blue
How about a 
Hanging chad or two?

One more try...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I missed early voting
How 'bout you?

One more thing.  Announcing another patch-yielding event!  If you have Patchwork Denim (or aspire to), take note.  I will award a Election Day Patch to anyone who does two things.  First, send me the front page of your local newspaper for Wednesday, November 5.  Second, send me some kind of proof that you voted (a sticker, a portion of your early-voter receipt, your Girl Scout promise, ... you decide).  My mailing address is: 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, TX. 76051.

Know nothing about Patchwork Denim?!?!?!  It's your chance to acquire cool patches for all kinds of fun events.  Check out the post from 8/7, titled, Patchwork.

That's it.  I'm out for the day.  CNN is calling my name.  You?  Compose a poem.  Tell me how you're planning to spend election night.  Make a suggestion for my election night dessert.  Let us know whether or not you early voted, or anything else that might be on your mind about elections.

Signing off until tomorrow...

No comments: