Friday, November 21, 2008

Free for All Friday: Another Highlowaha Ritual

Congratulations, Mary Beth! 
 
You are the winner of the Patchwork Denim Apron or Bag (let me know which you would prefer).  Now you're ready to start collecting your very own Highlowaha Patches!  
 
T.G.I.F.  I love the feeling of Fridays.  If I was going to an office today, I would be looking forward to dressing down -  a turtle neck and a warm sweater to celebrate the arrival of fall and Thanksgiving.  I love this time of year!

I look forward to Friday's on our blog, because it is Free For All Friday.  This is the day of the week when we open the floor to whatever you want to talk about or brainstorm.  I have a few agenda items of my own, but I'll be brief, so we can open the floor to you and your interests.

A final topic I want to cover, before completely turning over today's blog to "free-for-all-ing" is the use of  technology in staying better connected to our friends.  The irony... I know NOTHING about technology (I'm still patting myself on the back for learning how to create files in my email).   I'm no dummy, though.  It is precisely the reason why I waited until today to bring up the topic.  I set the scene and all of you share what you know (which is inevitably more than what I know).  Already this week, Skype and Facebook were touted as useful tools.  What else is out there?

I do have one contribution on the subject.  Virtual Parties have become somewhat of a tradition at highlowaha.  Our first was a virtual dinner party to celebrate the opening of Olympics.  Readers ordered Chinese food and watched the Olympics in their respective homes.  Throughout the night, blog readers made posts and celebrated with one another.  We did something similar on Talk Like a Pirate Day, while we played an interactive, but virtual, game of Pirate Bingo.  Prizes were won (and stolen) and we had fun, fun, fun.

Announcement!  Get out your calendars!  Our next Virtual Highlowaha party is scheduled for...

Sunday, December 14
8:00 p.m.  
Join us for...
The Highlowaha Festival of Lights & 
First Annual Highlowaha Ornament Exchange

Rules of participation are easy.  Submit two photos to Katie Kolkmeier at kkolkmeier@g.mail.com, by Friday, December 12 at 5:00 p.m.  The two photos should include (1) a picture of your decorated Christmas tree, menorah, or other holiday decoration, and (2) a picture of a wrapped ornament, that you are willing to exchange with another highlowaha reader.  More details to come as the party gets closer.  For now, SAVE THE DATE!  P.S. This is a patch yielding event!!!

How about you?  Do you have a virtual party idea for you and your friends?  Or, one that we can use on highlowaha?  Let us know.

Pen Pal Match-Up: While on the subject of friends and correspondence... a favor for a good friend.  I am in search for a young girl who would like to have a smart, loyal, and conscientious pen pal from the state of Georgia.  She is in the fifth grade and turned eleven years old in September.  If I could hold interviews to find her a pen pal who would reciprocate her enthusiasm, I would.  Instead, I am turning my request over to the most reliable people I know - my friends at highlowaha.  Incidentally, if there seems to be a lot of interest, I would not mind coordinating a Pen Pal Match-Up.  Have a lead?  Either post a comment telling me so or send me an email at cbeeny@lslog.com.

Secret Ingredient:  Highlowaha is partnering with Struble Suds, a "resident" Green Bay Packer Bar, to host the Super Bowl Snack Throw Down.  Fourteen creative and courageous highlowaha readers are participating.  Each week, two readers face off in throw down by submitting a food entry and allowing the Struble Suds bar flies to judge them on flavor and use of the secret ingredient.  Winners advance to the next round, ultimately competing for a spot in the Super Bowl.  The prize for which participants are competing?  The ultimate hand painted Super Snack Bowl!  Guaranteed to make you the envy of all your friends and family.  

Today we must vote on next week's Secret Ingredient.  Chefs have been consulted and ingredients have been narrowed.  The two ingredients between which you are voting are:

Lemon Juice or Maple Syrup

Heather and the Snow Flakes... we are nearing the end of our first Highlowaha Party.  You all have set the bar high, with great participation and countless creative contributions.  We are better and more fun because of your involvement.  The good news... unlike other parties that actually end... this one doesn't have to!  Feel free to continue joining us, even after tomorrow.  We hope you will.

Remember to tune in tomorrow, for our final post on the subject of staying connected with friends who live at a distance.  There will be a fun giveaway and, more importantly, a tribute to Heather and one of her dear friends.  It will be a nice way to end the week and to start your weekend.

Signing off until tomorrow...

No comments: