Monday, February 9, 2009

The Mother of...


...all Maintenance Mondays!  That's what today is.  Actually, that's what this whole week is.  

If you are new to Highlowaha, don't go anywhere!  We are on the eve of something big and you won't want to miss out.  But all good things take time and our blog community is no exception.  Next week... Wednesday to be exact... we are celebrating our one-year anniversary.  The day will culminate with the Highlowaha People's Choice Award Show, at 8:00 p.m. (CST), right here on our blog.  Then, bright and early Thursday morning, Highlowaha followers (AND NEW COMMUNITY MEMBERS) are in for a treat.  There will be a big announcement, followed by... well... I can't tell you.  It would ruin the surprise.

Before we can get to any of the excitement I just described, we have some work to do.  This is our new year and, if it's ok with you, I'd like to get the new year underway by borrowing from the Chinese.  You might remember, a few weeks ago, my sharing that the Chinese welcome in the new year by cleaning their entire home, squaring away all debts, and resolving differences with family, friends, and business associates.  Hopefully there aren't too many differences to resolve, because I have plenty of "cleaning-up" to do and plenty of debts on which to make good before next Wednesday.

I'll need your help.

Many of you have been with me for 356 days - or 331 posts to be exact.  I don't take a single day of your participation lightly and I am grateful every day that you return for more.  Part of this community - our relationship - is believing that our time together will amount to something.  If I say I am going to do something, you want to know I did it.  If you make a suggestion in the comment section you want to know it didn't get ignored and that your ideas were at least taken into consideration.  If I successfully get you excited about an idea, and am lucky enough to harness your energy - then in all fairness you want to know the end result.

Here's the hard part.

I suck.  

I wake up early, but then I waste time reading or watching CNN.  I make lists, ticking off the things I like doing , but pushing the less fun ones to tomorrow.  I think big about a new idea, but get lost in small details.  I over estimate how much I can fit into a day and then underestimate how long something will take.  Go on, I could.  You get the picture.  I, like everyone else, am flawed.  

The good news is there should be no shortage of Maintenance Monday topics.  Today all of you (veterans, newbies, and lurkers alike) will help me generate a Mother list of Unfinished Highlowaha Business for which you would like closure, before this year ends next Wednesday.  Maybe you want to know the final outcome of our Helping Hands Christmas project, what Shannon ended up doing for Dalton's 100th day of school shirt, or the fate of the ever elusive Altoids Table.  You name it.  Together we will try to answer as many questions as possible and to make good on as many of our joint ventures as possible.

Deal?  

It'll feel good.. later.

Right now, I am scared out of my mind.  This week I'm vulnerable.  You get to call me on the carpet for every big and small thing I've ever mentioned and to hold me accountable for doing what I said I was going to do.  That's the price I pay.  You show up faithfully every day, reading whatever idea I put out there, telling your friends about our community, and supporting whatever the project is we are working on.  If it means I get to keep your company, I will willingly move through this week dotting "i"s and crossing "t"s.

Let me help tear off the band aid.  I have a short list to help get us going...
  • Reading Raynbow
  • My plea for a lunch date with Maria Shriver
  • Finality on Ray Wattson's Birthday,
  • Un-awarded Patchwork Patches
  • and a few outstanding prizes that never made it in the mail (Brian and Lori).
Signing off until next Wednesday... just kidding.  I'll be back tomorrow... 



No comments: