Our visitors are food lovers, The occasion is start of football season.
Some background for those who were not with us last year at this time. Facts, just the facts...
Highlowaha scoured the country looking for the craziest, zaniest, most over-the-top football fans we could find. Turns out the Struble Family, in Naperville, Illinois fit the bill. They've converted their basement into a full blown Packer Pub called Struble Suds. Their set up is about as close to Cheers as you can get and still be zoned in a residential neighborhood. Visit their pub and expect to be greeted with a steady stream of fans, printed t-shirts, mugs, a jumbo-tron of a screen, rows of reclining seats, a wall holding framed photographs of all the regulars, and a bottomless keg. PACKER FANS!
Once the right fans were found, we set the ground rules for the First Annual Highlowaha Super Bowl Snack Throw Down. High: We had great participation, voting for secret ingredients each week was fun, and the one-of-a-kind super bowl that AZLori won was great looking. Lows: The cost of shipping weekly snacks to Struble Suds added up. Aha: With a little bit of creativity and a lot of desire, you can find a better way.
Here it is.
The new and improved Super Bowl Snack Throw Down: Take Two.
- Today by 8:00 p.m. CST. Host writers of food blogs from around the country will compete in a 6-word essay about why they should be selected as one of two competing teams in our newly revised Superbowl Throw Down.
- Tomorrow, Highlowaha readers (plus anyone that our foodies gather) will select two winners by voting on which 6-word essays they think are best. The two food blogs receiving the most votes will win.
- The two winning sites will compete each week during football season, to see whose football snack recipes posts the most wins.
- No mailing involved.
- Each Friday before the next competition, Highlowaha readers will vote between two secret ingredients.
- The next day (Saturday), the secret ingredient will be officially announced. The winning ingredient must somehow be incorporated into a football snack prepared by our two competing food bloggers. Food bloggers will have 12 days to prepare their dish and to post a photograph and recipe.
- On a designated day of the week, Highlowaha readers will visit the sites of our competing food bloggers to check out their entries. Then, return to the Highlowaha comment section to cast your vote.
- Recipes will be judged on the following criterion. Creative use of the ingredient (you had to know creativity would be #1), most likely to be eaten first, best photograph, and "replicability" (chances that a clumsy, non-foodie like me could actually make the recipe).
- Competing food bloggers earn a score, based on 100 percentage points.
- Each Monday morning the winner will be announced.
- The food blogger at the end of the season with the most wins earns the right to compete against Highlowaha readers in the ULTIMATE snack throw down on Super Bowl Sunday.
- Sunday, February 7, 2010, Highlowaha readers go head-to-head with the reigning Food Blogger Champion, by submitting a recipe that, for this one time only, will be mailed to Struble Suds.
- Monday, February 8, 2010, gifts and treats, including a hand-crafted super bowl, will be bestowed upon the ultimate Second Annual Super Bowl Snack Throw Down winner! And the crowd roars.
That's it. That's the plan and Heather, Katie, Cheryl, and I are pretty excited. We hope you are too.
Do you know someone with a food blog you want to make sure gets a crack at competing? Forward them today's post. It's not too late for them to get in on the fun. Remember, 6-word essays must be posted by 8:00 p.m. CST.
Don't know anyone you think should compete? That's ok, tell us how you are getting ready for football season. But, do it in six words.
Signing off until tomorrow...