Saturday, July 12, 2008

Go Fly A Kite!

First an interesting observation... For the past two days we have had a marked increase in readers and they are coming from all over the country (and even world).  In fact, while we typically yield about 120-125 views each day, yesterday we had 203.  AND... the readers were from 11 countries and 27 states (as opposed to our typical 2 countries and 15 states).  I'm not sure what's happening, but I LOVE it.

Welcome all you new readers!  Visit us daily (except Sundays) for the next couple of weeks and you will see what all the fuss and fun is about!

Now an admission...

I hate supermarkets.  I do.  For one, they are always cold.  On the rare occasion I have to step inside one (I was lucky enough to marry a man who loves to cook and therefore picks out his own ingredients), I bee -line through the produce section and meet back up with the family in Baking Goods.  The other thing I hate... there appears to be very little order to the way a grocery store is stocked.  You could finally work your way through produce and all the way to dairy only to realize you forgot something at the deli counter.  It's ALL the way back to the other end of the store... and then back again for other sundry items that you've inevitably forgotten.  At least the library has the Dewey Decimal system.  Finding a title might seem like a needle in a hay stack, but actually follow the assigned letters and numbers and it's all very orderly.  Not so with supermarkets.

Enough ranting.  There is actually a reason I brought that up.  Yesterday the Central Market in Grapevine, Texas earned one gold star.  For all of my disdain, I thought it only fair to praise when praise is due.  We stopped last night to pick up a few items for a gathering of friends and family tonight.  Imagine my surprise when, at checkout, we were presented with brown bags (which you already know I LOVE) that said the following.... 

"I am a brown paper bag.  More than likely, I'll end up under your kitchen sink with a few favorite friends.  I might get cut up and wrapped around an old textbook, or just stuck under something messy.  It would be nice if someone made me into a kite.  I'd like to be a kite but whatever happens, I will never forget the day I carried groceries home from Central Market."

So, I have my marching orders...  Today the boys and I will liberate the brown bags.  Today they will fly free... high in the sky as proud and colorful kites.  Check back on Monday and see what we came up with.  As for me, I'm off to go fly a kite...

Signing off until tomorrow... 

No comments: