Friday, July 4, 2008

Free For All Friday: Topping Off the Week!

Maureen is the winner of the Ice Cream Cone Cupcake pan, guessing exactly the right number of fudge fish in half a pint of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food Ice Cream... 21!  Congratulations, Maureen.  

T.G.I.F.  I'll be brief today, as I know most of you are on your way to a July 4th celebration.  Me and my family included.

Today I pose two things for which I would love your free-for-all-feedback.  First, toppings.  My mother bought me the Lazy Susan Ice Cream Sundae Bar pictured below.  As many of you already know, in my house... Sunday is actually "Ice Cream Sundae."  We end each week (or start each week, depending upon how you want to look at it) with the perfect treat.

This week I'll take suggestions from you about what kind of toppings I can use to fill the containers.  Usually toppings include: crushed oreos, graham cracker crumbs (my favorite), colored sprinkles, candied almonds and cherries.  In the center bowl we put hot fudge.  Help us break out of our sundae rut.  What other toppings should we try.? NOTE:  Based on Sajid's suggestion, we will serve Heath Bar this week.

Below is a picture of a "card" I made for Richard years ago when giving him an ice cream maker for some holiday (he requested it and I, of course, saw the wisdom in immediately granting him his wish).  The top says, "Get the Scoop on Why I Love You" and each scoop lists another quality about him that I love.  I won't use the idea again (remember, "creativity is fostered by never using the same idea twice"), but wouldn't it be fun to start National Ice Cream Month off with the cone and each day add another quality?  Today is only July 4.  It's definitely not too late to treat someone you love to this idea.
Or how about tweaking the idea?  Add a scoop for each thirty minutes your child reads in July (or over the summer).  Reaching 5 scoops earns an ice cream cone; 10 might equal a banana split; 15 could be a sundae as big as your head; 20 might be ice cream for your child and two friends; and 30 might be an ice cream sundae party at your house.

No problem getting your child to read?  How about exercise; days with room kept clean; walking and feeding your pet; or using good table manners?  Pick anyone of the hundred things we have to remind our kids about.  Ice cream is about as good an incentive as there is. 

What other ways might the "progressive cone" be used and/or what other ice cream related ideas might you have?

No comments: