Thursday, May 8, 2008

Vision Showcase... Check it Out!

Challenging What is, Looking to What Could Be... That is theme for today. I know I am supposed to be whacking you on the side of the head, but I am inspired so I am going to ride the leadership wave.

Today is the day we channel all the students' energy into issues and projects for which they have passion. It is nothing less than miraculous to watch college students accept the idea that with their privilege of going to college comes great responsibility. They spent the day thinking and talking about matters of heart. Late in the afternoon we asked the students to imagine their visions realized and to develop newspaper headlines announcing their accomplishments. It is my favorite part of the week, because it fills me with hope about the future and reminds me why I love working with young(er) people.

I wish you could be here with me. I wish you could walk the Vision Showcase and feel the energy filling the room. There is a low hum of students and leadership coaches exchanging feedback. Some are helping their peers refine their visions. Some are sharing resources. But ALL are fully engaged and committed to the process.

I thought if I couldn't bring you to Leadershape then perhaps I could bring a bit of Leadershape to you. So... below are a small sample of the student's visions.

Something for you to think about while viewing them. ...I shared a quote with the students from a book titled, The Alchemist. It states, "And when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." We are part of the universe that can conspire to help bring these students' visions to reality. So, if you have an idea, insight, resource, or contact that can advance any of these visions, let us know. I will be sure to pass the information along. And... we will be going a long way in doing our part to improve the world.


HITTING THE NEXT LEVEL WITH WEARABLE ART

Fashion designer takes her designs to the next level with pieces that aim to shine light on current issues facing the community.


TAKE LIFE ONE ACT AT A TIME

Actors bring awareness through mind-opening performances all around the world
to set audiences free.


FIRST PLACE FINISH
Student-led efforts help crew team become fully funded varsity
sport at St. Edward's University.



BACK IN SCHOOL
Student establishes day care system to provide affordable child care
for young mothers in pursuit of higher education.



SHOOTING CREATIVITY ONE PICTURE AT A TIME
Student creates organization to show the benefits of photography and its ability to provide a new lens on the world through individual creativity.



SHARING OF ART
Young entrepreneur starts Annual Art Festival to allow all kinds of
young artists to show their work and be recognized.



EXPRESS YOURSELF
College student finds breakthrough way
to help kids find themselves through the arts.



CREATING COMMUNITY ONE IDEA AT A TIME
(That's me! I figured I throw one in for good measure)
Entrepreneur and educator finds new ways to insert creativity
into communities around the world

No comments: