Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Community... Take it or Leave It!

Greetings from Leadershape. Yesterday was Day One for the students... though it was day three for me(I'm beginning to feel like an Austin native). Yesterday's theme for the day was Building Community. The idea is that before we can begin developing leaders, we must build a safe community in which these students can share.

Mark, my co-lead facilitated an icebreaker yesterday that I thought could be fun for our group. We (highlowaha), after all, are working on building a community of readers, so the idea of community building seems relevant. The better we know one another, the more able we are to provide ideas catering to the group's interests.

The activity required the group of 60 students to move from one side of the room to the other depending upon preferences. For instance...

"American Idol... Take it or leave it?"
"Coke or Pepsi?"
"Today or Tomorrow?"
"Hawaii or Paris?"
"Morning person or night owl?"
"Formal or informal"

So let's get to know each other better... Answer the six questions I posted and then add one or two of your own. The list will get progressively longer and we'll each commit to answering as many as we can. I might even print off our cumulative list of questions and use it as an activity one night at the dinner table.

Me...

American Idol.... Take it (think of me tomorrow night. I'll be missing it!)!
Coke
Hawaii
Morning person
Formal

Your Turn...

Signing off until tomorrow...


No comments: