Friday, February 5, 2010

Here's the Scoop!

Hey Sports Fans! Cheryl Here! I hope you are having a great week. Today I will be wrapping up my painting workshop and headed home. I need to rest up.

In two days Super Bowl XLIV will be kicking off. If you've been hanging around this past year you'll know that the Super Snack Throwdown Super Snack Bowl challenge is on between Kate and Ray. And all this Frito talk makes me want to share a recipe with you. It's a good one.

And since Claudia gives pretty much free reign on my Free For All Friday's- away we go....

Today's recipe is Black Bean Salsa. This is a really tough recipe so pay close attention to each step. I mean it! Pay attention. Your Super Bowl Party is on the line.
First, start with one of these. Open it up and take a drink. Ah!
Unless you're under the age of 21. In that case, open one of these and take a drink.

Here are your ingredients sitting all together. Aren't they pretty. Ooh. Aah.


Let's get started. First up: 2 (15oz) Cans Black Beans - any brand you like. Open them up- drain and rinse.

Throw them in a big bowl.


1 (17oz) Can Whole Kernel Corn - that's what the recipe calls for but my store doesn't have 17oz cans so 15 ounces of corn will be just fine.

Drain the corn. You don't have to rinse it. I just wanted to show you that there is none of the can juice- water? - whatever - in it.
Throw the corn in with the beans. Hey! That kind of looks like the Saint's uniform colors.
The recipe calls for 2 Large Tomatoes but I always use Roma tomatoes because they're so easy to seed.Seed and chop those red beauties up. I wound up only using 3 of these.
Throw them in with the beans and corn.
Next up is 1 Purple Onion. This purple onion was on steroids so I only used half of it. Just gauge for yourself how much onion you want in it.
Chop up the purple onion and throw it in with the beans, the corn, and the tomatoes.
1 Large Avocado is all the recipe calls for but I never know if the large is large enough and I like avocado so I used two mediums. I know I'm making it more difficult for you. Hang in there.
Chop up the avocado and add it to the beans, the corn, the tomato and the purple onion.

You'll only need 1/8 - 1/4 cup of chopped fresh Cilantro but you'll have to buy this whole bushel of cilantro! I'm not angry even though the rest of the cilantro will go bad in my refrigerator because I don't cook.
But go ahead and chop up that cilantro. I just pick off the leaves. No stemmy stems. Bleh! And throw that cilantro in with the beans, the corn, the tomato, the purple onion, and the avocado.

3 to 4 tablespoons of lime juice - 3 tablespoons is 1/4 cup. I measured. These three fresh limes equaled 3 tablespoons.


See.

Pour that fresh lime juice over the beans, the corn, the tomato, the purple onion, oh- you get the picture! Throw it in the bowl. Where's my beer?
Now, pour out 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. You got it. Add it to the mix.

1 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of pepper

That picture didn't turn out Bu you know what to do.

Let's see... all you have to do now is mix it up.
At this point you'll want to chill it for a little bit.
Did I say tough? I meant to say easy!
Okay- but I didn't use the secret ingredient- Frito!
Here you go! Get the Scoops and dive in! I'm going to tell you something. Don't count on any being left over! I have never made this recipe and had any leftover.

Say, "Ah"

So what are doing for the Super Bowl? Hanging with friends? Going to a bar? Making a Super Snack? And most importantly who are you cheering for?

I'll go ahead and tell you have to cheer for the Saints or the two monkey's I'm raising will tie me up and lock me in the closet! Go Saints!!
Signing off until tomorrow...

11 comments:

Heather said...

Okay Cheryl so I followed you right up until the part where you tell people to cheer for the Saints...boo Saints...GO COLTS!!!

But...that black bean salsa looks amazing!!!

I might do that and a root beer for the Superbowl. I'm in Florida until Sunday morning and will fly in just in time to get settled on my couch for the big game.

Brian K. Root said...

Let's go, Saints! (Sorry, Heather. I'm rootin' for the underdogs.)

Anyhow, I've made something very similar to this recipe before. I used corn, black beans, onion, a chopped up red pepper, seasoning, and a little bit of lemon juice and italian dressing to add some liquid. I'll have to try this version sometime.

Brian K. Root said...

P.S. This would go good in that HLA cookbook of ours!

lindsaymarie said...

this looks delicious! my stepmom makes something similar, but we just eat it as a salad. i call it corny bean salad.
i'm not sure about super bowl plans, i don't have a tv so if i'm gonna watch i'll have to go somewhere else! i guess i'll root for the saints though... new orleans is a great city. (can you tell i really care about football?!)

Cristine said...

Great recipe Cheryl. We're looking forward to a fun football day.

Feel free to call Matt if you want Snack Throw Down updates (630-CLD-BEER)

Have a great weekend everyone

and if you want a little pick-me up today - stop by Starbucks for a FREE KIND bar - check it out www.more4momsbuck.com)

Kat said...

Wow, that looks good! I need to take something for a party on Sunday, so this just might be it.

Peggy said...

Yum-o..... great pictures made my mouth water!

I'm a fan for the commercials.... cuz I really don't care at this point who wins.

Now you ask the two men in my life? I think Bubba said Saints (although he actually has a colts blanket on his bed)
And Hubby has been a Colts fan since Baltimore days... so it looks like we may be a house divided!

Happy Day y'all!

Katie said...

Wow, Cheryl! That looks soooo good! I may have to make that for our Superbowl party on Sunday if we end up having it. Currently, there are 20-30 inches of snow beginning to fall, and I'm hoping the superbowl party will go on!

Either way, Go Saints!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Cheryl Houston said...

Oh dear, Sorry about yesterday Claudia! Thursday was a very positive day in painting world at muddy, cold, rainy Wenmohs Ranch!! And dirty. The pump broke and we had to save water so no showers!!

I took the salsa to my workshop. I think everyone liked it but man! There was so much great food there!!!

I'm pooped out so I'll see y'all tomorrow for YEP!

Nancy Standlee said...

Cheryl, I'm glad to find that great salsa recipe here..It was delicious. Thanks for making it for us. n