Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Come Out, Come Out Wherever You Are...

LURKER: /lurk 'er. noun, 1. Someone waiting in concealment.
Today is dedicated to Highlowaha lurkers! Not sure if I'm talking about you? How about this... If you're from any one of the places listed below or have never posted to our comment section, then chances are yes... I'm talking about you. You are the people who loyally show up, but who have never made your way to our comment section.

Wake Forest, NC; Cocoa, FL; Palo Alto, CA; La Mesa, CA; Poquoson, VA; Glen Oaks, NY; Billings, Montana; St. Louis, MO; Easton, CT; Colorado Spring, CO; Richardson, TX; Houston, TX; Mount Prospect, IL; or Bloomington, IL... among others!

Boone, NC, you used to be one of our favorite lurkers, but recently you posted twice. That now makes you one of our favorite new commenters.

Our blog is built as much on the concept of community as it is on creative ideas, so identifying readers who have never commented is, to us, like being a kid in a candy store. Wake Forest is chocolate, St. Louis is gob stoppers, Palo Alto gum balls, Poquoson jelly beans, and the list goes on. It's as though Katie, Heather, Cheryl, and I are seven years old, begging for one of everything!

We can't resist. We want so badly to know who you are what makes you tick. We also want you to know, that even though you forgo our comment section, we appreciate you tuning in when you do.

But...

Today we're going to ask you to entertain the idea of gently... ever so slowly dipping one toe into the warmth of community and out of the impersonal, cold world of anonymity. Nothing drastic, just one small step.

Below is a six question poll. No writing, just clicking. Participating will allow us to get to know you better without you having to say anything. Venture out of lurker status just long enough to answer a few questions. If you're getting this via email, don't close the screen. Take a second - come on, tell us a little something about yourself. It'll be fun.
Loyal posters... Have no fear. Go directly to comments. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00. Tell us about your first HLA comment.

Signing off until tomorrow...

23 comments:

cassie p said...

Im not sure I remember my first HLA comment...or what the post was about that first day. But I do know I have been tuning in for almost the entirety of HLA's existence!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

And we love you for it, Cassie. Thanks for being such a regular.

Chaotic Kristi said...

I am with Cassie.. 1st post? I've slept since then!

heather said...

I've recently been reviewing our previous summer and can speak to Chaotic's...it seems that you too were at one point a loyal lurker and somehow we drug you into our community and I'm so glad!!!!


As far as my first post? the first comment on the first day of highlowaha!!!

I love having that privelege!

Brian K. Root said...

I cannot remember my first comment, or even when it was... I'm pretty sure I've been following HLA for about a year now (I think).

Kat said...

I started lurking on the very first post! The first comment I remember making was when I came back to HLA after losing the web address for a month or two. Maybe I commented before then, but that is the first one that I can remember.

Tera said...

I don't remember my first comment...I'm sure it was on the first day though.

I'm curious as to how everyone found out about the blog? Me...Claudia called and said read it! I love her lots so of course I did! It gave me a great way to stay connected to her.

Robin said...

Will my first memory of HLA serve the same purpose? We were all at a Birth Care Network meeting when Stacie made the announcement that her friend had a new blog and needed someone from every state to visit and wouldn't we all stop by? Being a fellow blogger, I couldn't help by want to be friendly. I'd love to tell you that I jumped right in, but I didn't. I was a sporadic lurker for several months, then a regular lurker. I jumped in in January, I think mostly because you guys were always in good moods and doing fun things and I needed some of that in my life!

Thanks for being here!

Peggy said...

Well y'all know how I am... I went to find my first post... but all the comments are gone from last year.... here's how I got here....

My neighbor Denise sent me this on May 7, 2008.....A friend of ours has started a blog that I think you may enjoy. It is highlowaha.com. Chip went to SMU grad school with her husband and she has started this blog to share creative ideas of all sorts. Let me know what you think!

Katie said...

I know that my first comment was in the first week, but I'm not positive which day. My highlowaha experience began at the starbucks in Prospect, Ky where I taught Claudia how to write a post and how to insert photos. That seems like it was forever ago!

I am really enjoying reading how each of you found the blog and about the first time you commented!

Cheryl Houston said...

I met Claudia at a neighborhood bunco party in March or April. She said she wrote a blog. I said that I read blogs. And then all the stars and moons collided and a friendship was born.

I opened her blog the next morning and got caught up, back commented and started commenting every day since then. Before I entered the "behind the scenes" I would get to work, get settled in and say to myself, "I wonder what's happening at Highlowaha today."

Claudia said...

Yes... this stroll down memory lane is kind of fun.

There are still some people I am looking forward to hearing from... Lindsey Marie, AZLori, Sporadic Spy, and even some of our loyal Anonymous readers.

Maybe by the end of today we'll have successfully lured one more lurker out of hiding.

Unknown said...

Hi HLA!

So I think I learned to run before I could crawl in attending last year's Taste of USA in Philly after only visiting the blog a few times. Ever since then I've been a loyal lurker, and sporadic commenter. I love the posts and the community, but I sometimes don't have a lot to say... Katie will be shocked by that.

But I'm in the light. Im here. Loud and proud!

Cheryl Houston said...

Nicole- It was so fun to meet you last year... Can we convince you to come to Kentucky? It should be even more fun since we know what we're doing this year!! :)

azlori said...

Not sure of first comment but it was the first week I believe. I got an email from Dawn to go check it out. Commented daily for the most part until the beginning of this year when school got super busy! Still read daily and post occasionally! Enjoy the blog very much and have since the beginning!

b.k.root said...

I cannot remember who posted the comment, but I joined after reading a comment posted in one of the Student Affairs facebook groups last summer.

Cheryl Houston said...

BRIAN!!

Thank you for my Goal Fishing piece of mail!! You Rock!!

I, on the other hand, do not.

Unknown said...

My first comment was just a few weeks ago, thanks to Heather posting a link on facebook. I believe what initially drew me to it was the photo of Claudia dressed up as a mermaid. Then Katie's encouragement to come back. My first post was about the mermaid cookie cutter.

Claudia said...

If dressing like a Mermaid is what I have to do to get get lurkers like Lauren out of hiding then I am all for it.

Anonymous said...

I was in Heine Bros on Bardstown Road in Louisville, KY and some young women were discussing HLA. I have wandering ears, and I went to the site right as they were chatting.

Certainly my first post had to do with cookie cutters...most have. :)

My last comment was on RAYge day (not sure of the actual topic). I forgot to add my call sign, by accident. I regularly have problems logging on via this blog. I get error messages frequently. Not an HLA problem, but something that may frustrate a lurker going poster.

-Sporadic Spy

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Sporadic Spy.. so glad to hear from you. I love that you found out about us by overhearing a conversation. Since you're in Louisville, any chance you'll meet at Taste of USA in September?

Chaotic Kristi said...

yes, I lurked... Brian told me about the site and I would read but not post.. .then you had some post along the lines goals. Hmmm,I htought to myself... I can post every day... there is a goal I can reach! I have others, not so easily attained. sigh. So HLA is my self-esteem raiser every day... the one thing I can and DO follow thru on!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

And keeping you coming back is one of our goals, Chaotic.