Saturday, April 5, 2008

Yankee Seeking Yummy, Not Yucky, Yellow Things You Yearn

Good Saturday morning.  Today is the tail end of another fun and creative week of blogging. Thanks for making it a great week of idea sharing.

I deliberated long and hard about how to finish out the week.  I can't say any of my ideas were GREAT, but there were a few with some possibilities.  I wrapped yesterday up by saying we would explore yummy, not yucky yellow things.  There were possibilities, but I wasn't totally committed.  Heather suggested "Yard" tips; Cassie suggested Yippee things that keep you youthful, and my mother in-law suggested I celebrate God's perfect creation of the banana. 
 
Here's the thing...My thumb is whatever color sits OPPOSITE green on the color chart, so I have absolutely NO business offering up anything creative about yard tips, except maybe... well, I can't think of anything.  As for "yippee youthful" tips.  I'm in my early 40s with a three year old and a one year old.  I'm not sure if it keeps me youthful or yawning.  That canceled out Cassie's idea.  I like Toni's idea of the banana.  They're yummy, not yucky and they are a perfect specimen of something yellow.  Thing is, when I think of bananas I automatically go to banana splits and I've covered ice cream one too many times.

Then we went to my mother in-laws house for a family dinner.  My youngest son disappeared into one of the bathrooms.  I followed after him, finding him sticking his hands in the toilet bowl water.  I quickly picked him up and then, as mother's instinct would have it, turned on the bathroom light only to find the toilet filled with bright yellow pee!  "YUCKY Yellow Things" was definitely covered. 

Now I was committed to the original plan of Yummy, not Yucky Yellow Things.  Lemons immediately came to mind, along with a great lemon bar recipe I received from a friend years ago in graduate school.  The thing is, the recipe still sits on the same card it was originally written on (19 years ago to be exact) and years have faded her writing.  So, Stacey if you're out there... feel free to fill in any ingredients I might have missed or any inaccuracies. 

Here goes:

I cup butter melted
2 cups flour  + four tablespoons flour
1 cup confectioners sugar
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons lemon juice
Additional confectioners sugar for dusting the squares

Combine butter, 2 cups flour and 1 cup confectioners' sugar with wooden spoon.  Pat with floured hands into buttered 13 x 9' pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  While crust is cooling, beat together eggs, sugar, baking powder, remaining flour, and lemon juice.  Pour over baked crust and bake for an additional 30 minutes.  Cool then sprinkle lightly with confectioner's sugar.  Cut in squares.

And to assure we have the creative element covered.... Do you know someone having a run of bad luck? or down in the dumps?  How about sending a batch of yummy yellow lemon bars with a fun note encouraging her to turn lemons into lemonade... or lemon bars, as the case may be.  Wrapped in cellophane with bright yellow crinkle and tissue paper.... This has the potential to be a cute pick-me-up.

Have a yummy yellow Saturday.  Signing off until Monday...

P.S.  I'm from New York which is where the "Yankee" piece comes in.
   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good day people. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for that singular brand. The prices as regards the shoes were about 300 bucks on every page. But finally I set this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I really love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you tell me about these?